Lake Norman Marine Commission
Mountain Island Lake does not have a marine commission. For that reason, all No Wake Zones on that lake must be established by the Wildlife Resources Commission (WRC).
The process for establishing a No Wake Zone on Mountain Island Lake in Mecklenburg County
On Mountain Island Lake, the process used by the Wildlife Resources Commission for the establishment of a No Wake Zone is:
- Interested person submits an application for a No Wake Zone on a portion of Mountain Island Lake
- Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) advertises in a local newspaper the date, time and location of a public hearing on the No Wake Zone proposal
- BOCC holds a public hearing
- BOCC votes to approve or deny the proposal
- If approved by the BOCC, County staff submits the necessary paperwork to the Wildlife Resources Commission
- If approved by the Wildlife Resources Commission, Mecklenburg County staff will install and maintain buoys identifying the No Wake Zone
The application, review and approval process may take up to six months to complete.
For information on "No Wake Zones" on Mountain Island Lake in Gaston or Lincoln Counties, contact the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission at 919-707-0065.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services