- Flooding is the #1 natural hazard in Charlotte-Mecklenburg, both in frequency and in damage to property
- Frequent local floods are due to our climate and our "lay of the land"
- Understand why it floods
- 90% of all natural disasters in this country involve flooding
- 83% of local floods are flash floods, the most dangerous kind of flood
- Most flood deaths happen in vehicles
- Regular insurance doesn't cover flood damage. You need a flood insurance policy.
- 25% of flood insurance claims come from areas not shown in a FEMA floodplain
- Most floods don't qualify for federal disaster aid, but flood insurance will cover all flood-related damages
- Build an A.R.K. - build your flood Awareness, Responsibility and Knowledge
- Know if there are current weather watches, warnings or advisories for Charlotte-Mecklenburg
Before a Flood
During a Flood
After a Flood
Are you prepared for a flood?
Why everyone should be concerned about flooding
What to put in your emergency kit
History of Flooding in Charlotte-Mecklenburg
Aug. 5, 2011 flood
August 2008 flood
For more information about flood preparedness and safety, contact:
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services