WHAT IS LIEAP
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) gives families a one-time vendor payment to help pay their heating bills.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
Families must meet all of the following:
- Household must meet an income test.
- Household must be responsible for its heating bills.
- Household cannot have resources over $2,200.
- The household must include a U.S. citizen or an eligible alien.
Note: Priority in eligibility is given to disabled persons receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services or households containing a person age 60 and above from December 1st through January 31st.
WHERE TO APPLY:
You can apply at the Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services located at 301Billingsley Road, Charlotte, North Carolina 28211 or you may apply at 3205 Freedom Drive, Charlotte, NC 28208. An elderly or disabled person who wishes to apply may contact JUST 1 CALL (704-432-1111) or send a representative to the county department of social services to apply for him. Please take the following information to apply:
- Information about your household’s income. If anyone works, take wage stubs for the month prior to the month you visit the agency to apply.
- Information about your household’s savings accounts or checking accounts.
- Information about your household’s property, stocks, bonds, and other assets.
- Name, date of birth, and social security numbers of each household member.
WHEN TO APPLY:
Applications will be taken for:
- Disabled persons receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services or households containing a person age 60 and above from December 2nd through January 31st of each year or until funds are exhausted.
- Applications on all other households will be taken from February 1st through March 31st or until funds are exhausted.