How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
Privilege License Tax
Short -Term Vehicle Rental Taxes
Prepared Food And Beverage Tax
Room Occupancy Tax
Beer And Wine License
Garage and Attic Sale Privilege License
Heavy Equipment Tax
Taxicab License
Customer Service Survey

Business Taxes

Pay your business taxes online now.

Privilege License
 is based on the type of business operated and/or the amount of annual gross sales. 

Short -Term Vehicle Rental Tax 
is based on gross sales derived from lease or rental of a vehicle (car, truck, etc.), whether made under a written or verbal contract of agreement, made to the same person for a period of less than 365 continuous days.

Prepared Food & Beverage Tax is based on gross sales derived from food or beverages made available for immediate human consumption.

Room Occupancy Tax is based on gross sales derived from the rental of any room, lodging, or accommodations furnished by a hotel, motel, inn, tourist camp, or similar place.  

Beer & Wine Privilege License must be purchased from the State; this license must then be shown to the Business Tax Collections office prior to the issuance of a local license.  Businesses located inside the City of Charlotte pay both the City and County license tax.

Garage and Attic Sale Privilege License is required inside the City Limits of Charlotte when having a garage or attic sale.  The tax for this license is $5.00 per day. The license is valid only for the day(s) issued and are not transferable (no rain dates).

Heavy Equipment Tax is based on gross sales derived from heavy equipment by a person whose principal business is the short-term lease or rental of heavy equipment at retail provided that the place of business from which the heavy equipment is delivered is located in this county. 

Taxi Cab License is issued only after a taxicab driver receives a medallion from the CMPD Taxicab Inspector.  A local business license is required for each car.  Licenses are $15.00 a year which covers the calendar year.  The License is prorated, for a half year, after July 1.  The license is not transferrable for car or driver.

U-Drive-It Tax is based on gross sales derived from short term lease or rental of passenger cars, trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles and motorcycles.  Also included are property-hauling vehicles (van, truck, or trailer) 7,000 pounds or less.  The tax is not applicable for property-hauling vehicles over or 7,000 pounds or recreational vehicles.



The Office of the Tax Collector uses a number of forms to administer tax collection processes.  Many of these are available to view or download from our Forms page. 


Acceptable payment types are cash, check, money order, and credit card

In Person Payments:
Cash, check, money order, and credit card payments are accepted in person at:

Hal Marshall Services Center 
700 N. Tryon Street - First Floor
Charlotte, NC  28202

(Service hours 9 am - 5 pm Monday -Friday)

**A service fee in the amount of 2.35% or minimum of $1.95 will be charged for credit card and debit payments.  The service fee is retained by a third party (not Mecklenburg County) and is used to offset the costs associated with credit card processing. 

**There is no service fee for eCheck payments.


Credit Card payments


Directions to Our Offices

Mailing Address for Payments:
Only checks and money orders are accepted via mail payments.  For proper payment posting, please write your account number on the check or money order and mail payment along with application or return to the address printed on the application or return.  

Billing or Payment Inquiries
 regarding the taxes, fees, and due dates for the Room Occupancy, Prepared Food & Beverage, U-Drive- It Tax, Short-Term Vehicle Rental, Privilege or Business License, Beer & Wine License, Taxi Cab License, and Auto Fee for Rental vehicles should be directed to:

Charmeck 311 Call Center by dailing 311
(if calling within Mecklenburg County)


Business Tax Collections
Voice:  704-336-7600
Fax:     704-336-7602
E-mail:  taxbusiness@MecklenburgCountyNC


Property taxes, also known as ad valorem taxes, are based on the value of the taxable property.  Examples include real estate, personal property, and registered motor vehicle taxes. 

For more information on ad valorem taxes, please refer to our
Property Taxes  page.

Printed from: