Inviting. Beautiful. Natural.
Little Sugar Creek near downtown Charlotte has a whole new look. We invite you to check it out for yourself! Slip on your sneakers, pedal your bike or push a stroller along your gorgeous new greenway. It hugs the path of the restored, babbling stream which again meanders through a landscape of native plants.
The stunning fountain near Kings Drive is a great gathering place. Soak up the sunshine while sitting on a park bench. What was once a concrete jungle is now many shades of green — nature's celebration!
Watch our Video on YouTube!
Urban Little Sugar Creek Master Plan (Storm Water Services)
Urban Little Sugar Creek Greenway Master Plan (Park and Recreation)
Little Sugar Creek Fact Sheet
Little Sugar Creek stream restoration brochure
What is stream restoration?
Carolina Thread Trail
Charlotte Trail of History
What we plan to achieve:
- 1880 feet of parking lot that covered the stream has been removed
- Many structures purchased by Mecklenburg County and removed from the floodplain created this public open space
- 5940 linear feet of the stream bed and banks have been restored
- 6336 linear feet of greenway trail has been added along the stream
- 4 Rain Gardens
- 2 wetlands have been constructed in the floodplain
- 1 pedestrian bridge has been built connecting Kings Drive to Harding Place
- Cleaner water in Little Sugar Creek
- Better habitat in and along the creek for wildlife and aquatic life
- Create a great place for people to connect with nature
- Provide new educational opportunities for schools and the community
- Create a greenway trail along the entire length of Little Sugar Creek, linking to South Carolina
- More active commuters, by bike or foot, in this transportation corridor
- A gathering place for people to enjoy
- A signature Charlotte location; a center of community pride
For Further Information:
Contact Greenway Planner Gwen Cook at 704-432-1570 or by email.