The Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center will close for renovations on June 1, 2015. The project is expected to last one year.
The aquatic center opened in 1991 as the area’s only 50M indoor pool. With the exception of improvements to the heating and ventilating systems no major renovations have taken place in the 23 years of operation. Some of the original equipment is still in use at the center however, the dependability and continued operation of the equipment is unknown. The project was approved in the 2008 bond and the is $8.6M.
Proposed renovations include:
- Renovate and expand lobby
- Renovate and expand fitness area
- New family locker rooms
- Renovate existing men’s and women’s locker rooms
- New bleachers
- Renovate 50-meter and warm pools, including:
- New pool deck and finishes
- New trench drain
- New filtration system
- New pool surfaces and flooring
- New diving boards and starting blocks (50-meter)
- New ultraviolet disinfection system (50-meter)
- New bulkheads (50 Meter)
- Upgrade gutter system (50-meter)
- Improvements to mechanical, electrical, and telecommunication systems
Community Meeting: Sept. 10
The department will hold a community meeting on Sept. 10 (6p) at the Grady Cole Center to provide details and answer questions. The public meeting is part of our normal process for all construction projects. The County’s consultants (LS3P & Counsilman-Hunsaker) will also be in attendance.
Proposed floor plan (Click to enlarge
(PDF slide show)