Charlotte, NC – The Mecklenburg County Public Information Office has received eight Awards of Excellence from the National Association of County Information Officers (NACIO).
Mecklenburg County’s 2012 Award Winners are:
• MeckConnect (Superior) - MeckConnect is Mecklenburg County’s Citizen Involvement initiative.
• Park & Rec Gold Medal Video (Excellent) – This video was created for the National Recreation and Park Association. Each of three community finalists submitted an award describing their Park and Recreation program.
• Open Mecklenburg (Excellent) – This section of the County’s website was created to house documents including annual reports, external audits and studies, public notices and contracts and much more in an effort to be transparent.
• Engaging Jurors (Excellent) – As part of MeckConnect, Mecklenburg County speaks to the jury pool at the Courthouse every Wednesday to engage them and inform them about the programs and services offered by the County.
• Public Records Request Policy and Procedure (Excellent) – Part of Open Mecklenburg that allows media and citizens to request in an orderly fashion any documents that are included in the State Open Records Law.
• Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services 2011 Community Report (Meritorious) – Report called Here Today for a Better Tomorrow prepared by DSS to show the community the services it provides and the successes it enjoyed in 2011.
• American Legion Memorial Stadium Video (Meritorious) – Special video created to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of this County-run facility.
• 2011 Revaluation (Meritorious) – This two-year effort to educate the public before, during and after the 2011 property revaluation.
NACIO is an affiliate of the National Association of Counties (NACo). The awards were announced during the NACo Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh, PA July 13-17.
For more than three decades, NACIO’s annual Awards of Excellence program has recognized the best works of county public information officers and state association of counties communications staff. The competition honors a variety of communications projects that include public relations campaigns, brochures and publications, articles and press releases, videos and Internet/electronic innovations.
Media contact: Roger Kortekaas 704-579-0258 or Roger.Kortekaas@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov