The Historic Courthouse, now home to the District Attorney’s Office, is designated as a historic landmark and is one of the few remaining buildings of the 1920's building boom in uptown Charlotte. The Neoclassical-style building opened in 1928 as Mecklenburg County’s fifth courthouse.
Legend holds that the first act of Mecklenburg County government took place on Feb. 26, 1763 at a ramshackle wooden cabin that once stood near present-day Randolph and Caswell streets in Charlotte. The cabin was the home of Thomas Spratt and is held to be the location of the first court held in Mecklenburg County.
Mecklenburg County’s 250th anniversary celebration was announced earlier this year through a proclamation issued by the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners, who designated 2013 as the Year of the Mecklenburg County Sestercentennial Celebration and saluted the founding of Mecklenburg County on Feb. 26, 1763.
The Historic Courthouse Rededication ceremony will feature remarks by state and County officials, music, Revolutionary War-era historical re-enactors, and tours of the rededicated courthouse. The event is one of several efforts to mark Mecklenburg County’s Sestercentennial year. Earlier this year, Mecklenburg County is rolled out a special interactive website marking their 250th year at www.Mecklenburg250.org
. The website
gives users the chance to view historical “Mecklenburg Minute” videos created especially for the celebration, a calendar, and event news. Most importantly, it gives residents a chance to tell theirown Mecklenburg history.
The event will be broadcast live online www.MecklenburgCountyNC.gov
and on GovTV
, weather permitting.
: Bill Carroll at 704-621-7434 or email@example.com
, or Meghan Cooke 704.686.0726 or firstname.lastname@example.org