Opened in 1994, this Direct Supervision Facility was designed to house 614 sentenced inmates and places special emphasis on inmate programming. Substance abuse education, life skills, domestic violence, parenting, health education, GED, and a high school curriculum provide opportunities for inmates.
In the Spring of 2010 Jail North expanded and opened the Vocational Training Building, Greenhouse, and 108 bed Youthful Offender Housing Unit. Inmates are able to learn horticulture and carpentry skills that may transition into employment opportunities upon their release. The Youthful Offender Housing Unit allows our 16 -17 year old population to be housed in smaller groups with an emphasis on education, structure, and counseling.
Jail North also houses the main production kitchen which utilizes cook to chill method and serves all of the Detention Facilities.
The Sheriff's Office Training Academy operates on the site providing Detention Officer Certification, and in-service classes to officers of Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office and surrounding agencies.
Inmates housed at MCJ- North are classified as minimum-medium security risk. They can have county, state or federal charges.
Mecklenburg County Jail-North was the recipient of the inaugural NC 2001-2002 “Large Jail of the Year” Award
- Size: 281,838 sq.ft.
- Cost: $33,200,000
- Capacity: 614 inmates
- Eight 56-bed Pods, 52 dry cell and 4 wet cell, utilized for General Housing;
- One 55-bed wet cell Pod utilized for Work Crew and County Garage Workers;
- One 56-bed wet cell Pod which is subdivided into smaller units for Disciplinary and Classification purposes.
- One 55-bed wet cell Pod which is subdivided into smaller units for Disciplinary, High Security, and Inmate Worker Housing.
- 108 Bed Youthful Offender Unit – 34,830sq.ft.
- Vocational Training Building – 8,330 sq.ft
- (2) General Classroom
- Multi-purpose Room
- Carpentry Workshop
- Masonry Workshop
- Greenhouse Building – 3,360 sq.ft.
- Plant Propagation Area
- Plant Benches, Evaporative Cooling & Irrigation System
Directions to Jail-North on Spector Drive:
- Take I-77 to Exit 16A, Sunset Road (North of Charlotte)
- East on Sunset Road to the second stoplight
- Left (north) at second stoplight onto Statesville Road, Highway 21 North
- Spector Drive is the first street to left
- Jail-Annex is first facility on right (see modular units in the fenced area)
- Jail-North is at the end of Spector Drive