What are Examples of Typical Asthma Triggers?
- Environmental Tobacco Smoke (Secondhand Smoke)Dust Mites
- Outdoor Air Pollution
- Cockroach Allergen
- Strenuous Physical Exercise
- Some medicines
- Bad weather such as thunderstorms, high humidity, or freezing temperatures
- Some foods and food additives
- Strong emotional states can also lead to hyperventilation and an asthma attack.
Learn what triggers your attacks so that you can avoid the triggers whenever possible and be alert for a possible attack when the triggers cannot be avoided.
Below are information resources to help you learn to control asthma.
Basic Asthma Facts: You Can Control Your Asthma
Basic Fact Sheet about Asthma — what it is, its effects, how it is diagnosed and treated.
Help Your Child Gain Control Over Asthma
An easy to read guide for parents of children with asthma. This brochure provides parents and caregivers with asthma the information they need to improve their children's quality of life.