How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
Disability Compensation
Disability Compensation for Sexual or Personal Trauma
Service-Disabled Insurance
Homeless Veterans
Frequently Asked Questions
Community Partners
VA HealthCare
Home Loans

Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (RH)

What Is Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (RH)?

Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance is life insurance for veterans with service-related disabilities.  The basic program, which is called "RH Insurance", insures eligible veterans up to $10,000.  A supplemental policy, called "Supplemental RH Insurance", gives certain disabled veterans extra coverage of up to $20,000.

Who Is Eligible?

You are eligible for RH Insurance if:

  •  you left service after April 24, 1951   and

  •  VA has notified you that you have a service-related disability  and

  • you are healthy except for your service-related disability  and
  • you apply within 2 years of being notified of your disability.

      You are eligible for Supplemental RH Insurance if:

      • you have RH Insurance  and

      • VA has notified you that you don't have to pay your insurance premiums (which is called a waiver)  and

      • you apply within 1 year of being notified of the waiver  and

      • you are under 65 years of age.


      Note:  In some cases, veterans over age 65 can apply.

      REMINDER:  Waiver of RH Premiums - you may be eligible for a waiver if you become too disabled to work before your 65th birthday and stay that way for at least 6 consecutive months.  (Premiums for Supplemental RH Insurance can't be waived.) 

      How Much Does It Cost?
      The cost varies depending upon your age, type of plan you select (term or one of several permanent plans), and the amount of coverage.

      How Can You Apply ?

      You can apply by using the following forms: (completed forms should be taken to the County Veterans Service Office)

      VA Form 29-4364.pdf to apply for basic RH Insurance
      VA Form 29-0188 to apply for Supplemental RH Insurance
      VA Form 29-357.pdf to apply for a waiver of your RH Insurance premiums

      Related Links
      Disability Compensation
      Disability Compensation for Sexual or Personal Trauma


    Printed from: