Scope of Services:
Provide customers with information and technical assistance in relation to the North Carolina Building Code.
Do you have questions about a project on your one or two family dwelling and don't know where to turn? We've got just the solution for you. Just call the Residential Technical Answer Center OR send us your questions and get the answers you need by e-mail.
Questions pertaining to zoning, i.e. building setbacks, fencing, and property use please contact Charlotte Zoning or the town in which you live.
Our NC Certified code officials will provide you information about residential code requirements to do your project correctly. Call 704-432-7822 or e-mail RTAC to get answers to questions such as:
- Highlights on the 2012 NC Residential Code.
- To assist you in meeting drawing requirements for residential projects, see our Plan Review Tools for the Novice.
- Do I need a building permit for a 10 x 12 room added to my house?
- Can I be my own electrical contractor? (See important information for Homeowners desiring to do their own electrical work.)
- Is my bathroom required to have a vent fan?
- What type of footing do I need for my deck?
Review our deck brochure complete with guidelines and diagrams.
Answers to the Top Ten Deck Questions
- What type of inspections are required?
- What is required to convert my home into a small day care? Review our In Home Day Care brochure for the requirements and procedures.
- What regulations do I need to meet for putting in a swimming pool, spa, or hot tub? Appendix G of the NC Residential Code and Mecklenburg County Health Ordinance Governing Residential Swimming Pools.
- For answers to these and other residential code questions you may have, just call 704-432-7822.
View and download a free copy of the North Carolina Building Codes through the ICC. E-codes Hours of Availability:
Code Specialists are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.