Journeyman Testing will now be administered by the North Carolina Association of Electrical Contractors.
See below or visit the NCAEC website for further information and application.
Journeyman Cards and Renewals will continue to be handled by Mecklenburg County LUESA Revenue Collections.
State Electrical License
- Issued by the North Carolina State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors
- Allows qualified person to bid, contract, or install, associated electrical systems any where in the state
- An application for license packet will be mailed to you by calling 1-800-392-6102
- You may contact the State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors at
- The Web address for the State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors is: www.ncbeec.org
Person demonstrating knowledge competent to supervise the installation of associated electrical systems.
- Must work for a licensed electrical contractor.
- Prerequisite of 4 years experience under the direct supervision of licensed electrical contractor.
- Journeyman Cards are required to be renewed annually, it is the card holders responsibility to notify this department of any address or phone number change.
- IF YOUR JOURNEYMAN CARD IS NOT RENEWED FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE YEARS, YOU WILL HAVE TO RETAKE THE EXAM
- A Journeyman Card DOES NOT allow you to contract electrical installations.
- The Journeyman Electrical Exam is given the third Thursday of January, April, July, & October
- Exams begin at 7:45 a.m.
- Deadline for application is the last working day of the month preceding the exam.
- Seating is limited to 40 applicants
- Documented proof of field/trade experience is required.
- ABSOLUTELY NO CALCULATORS, CELL PHONES, PAGERS, OR ANY OTHER COMMUNICTATION DEVICE WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE EXAM ROOM.
- All exams are OPEN book exams.
- Code books, calculators, scrap paper, and pencil are furnished for the electrical exam.
- NO OTHER reference material is allowed during examinations.
- Examination results will be mailed to each applicant.
- Examinee may review previous exam results no later than 30 days prior to next scheduled exam.
Electrical Exam Dates, Exams begin at 7:45 am
Third Thursday of January
Third Thursday of April
Third Thursday of July
Third Thursday of October
If you did not receive your card or have a question about your certificate/license renewal, contact: Revenue Collection at 704-336-3801.
If you have questions about the examination process, eligibility or the scope of the certificate/license, contact: Gerald Harvell (704) 786-5000 or (704) 301-8656 (cell) or Terry Cromer (336) 854-8354 or cell (336) 382-1928 or Joe Weathers at (704) 336-5379
Download an application for Journeyman Exams. Please print the application and bring it by NCAEC’s office or mail it with your check made payable to NCAEC
3707 Alliance Dr.
Greensboro, NC 27407
• For general permit information, please call 704-336-3830
• For general electrical code questions, please call CTAC 704-432-4668
• For Code Interpretations, please call Joe Weathers, Electrical Code Administrator, 704-336-5379