NEW CSST RULE!
The effective date of this Rule is December 1, 2009.
The Statutory authority for Rule-making is G. S. 143-136; 143-138.
2009 NC Fuel Gas Code
310.2 CSST Bonding. (090310 Item B-2)
310.2 CSST Bonding. CSST Gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper shall not be smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.
As a result of a class action lawsuit involving the installation of CSST piping, the manufacturers of the products now require additional bonding above the minimum requirements of the NEC.
The bonding conductor that is required by the manufacturers' installation instructions shall be done by a properly licensed North Carolina electrical contractor. The bonding instructions shall be furnished to the licensed electrical contractor and to the electrical inspector by the installer of the CSST piping system.
The electrical contractor shall follow the instructions precisely as provided by the installer of the CSST piping system. The bonding of the CSST piping is considered electrical contracting and no portions of the bonding system may be installed by the Mechanical Contractor or others. The complete bonding system SHALL BE installed by the properly licensed Electrical Contractor. (Bonding Clamps, Wire, and all connections)
Two inspections MAY BE required when the bonding system is installed:
1. If any part of the bonding system will be hidden by wall covering, floor covering, ceiling covering, or any other material or objects that will prevent the complete bonding system from being seen, a rough inspection will be required.
2. If the entire bonding system can be seen continuously without any obstructions then only a final inspection will be required.
• For general permit information, please call 704-336-3830
• For general electrical code questions, please call CTAC 704-432-4668
• For Code Interpretations, please call Joe Weathers, Electrical Code Administrator, 704-336-5379