How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
Notify Me
 Code Enforcement:
About Us
Contact Us
Staff Directory
 Most Requested:
Code Interpretations
Electronic Services
Permit FAQs
Home Internet Permits
Inspection Failure Reports
Plan Review Failure Reports
Statistical Data
 Land Use &
 Services Agency
 Code Enforcement
 700 North Tryon Street
 Charlotte, NC 28202

 fax 704-336-3839

Trade Internet Permits (Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing)

Mecklenburg County requires contractors to have a permit for certain projects and now it is an easy online process. The contractor Trades Internet Permits (TIP) online process allows you to enter details of the work being performed for projects that do not require a Building permit, pay the permit fee and print the permits. 

The benefits of obtaining a permit from this website are:

  • The primary contractor may submit, pay for, and print a permit for projects such as change-outs, without staff intervention, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Primary contractor should apply and pay for all sub-trades. Mechanical contractor is considered to be the primary contractor when the project requires Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing work. Plumbing contractor is the primary contractor for electric water heater change-outs. Electrical may be the primary only on projects not requiring mechanical or plumbing work, such as a service upgrade.
  • Upon completing the on-line process, a contractor can immediately request inspections as soon as the work is performed. The county will send certified inspector(s) to verify code compliance.
  • Because of an increase in permit fees taking effect July 1, 2009, individual permits will now start at $60. For projects that require both an electrical and mechanical permit, for example, the cost would be at least $120. Contractors who use TIP will be charged $90 - a savings of $30. A larger project would incur higher permit fees.
  • The "Submit Permit Application" is available if your project is outside of the scope of the TIP process.

For more information contact RTAC 704-432-7822 or click the "Online Permitting" button on the right side of this page.

Printed from: