Shelter in Place is a method to help keep contaminated air out of your home.
When advised, immediately follow these steps:
Shelter: Go inside. Bring pets in, if possible.
Shut: Seal house so contaminates cannot enter
- Close and lock windows, doors and fireplaces
- Turn off ventilation systems such as heating, air conditioning, fans, stove, dryer, etc.
- Use duct tape and plastic to seal windows, doors, vents, electrical outlets and holes around pipes and fixtures.
- Go to an above ground room (not basement) with the fewest windows/doors.
- Listen to radio or TV.
- Avoid using the phone if possible.
Listen: Unless in immediate danger, do not leave your home unless you are instructed to do so.
- Make "go packs" in case of evacuation
- If evacuating use routes suggested by authorities. If possible go uphill, upwind.
Return to Be Prepared