Emergencies are not the time to think about security at home. Many kinds of situations can affect your home security. Here are a few tips you may want to follow:
Doors and windows
- Lock doors at all times.
- Install good quality deadbolt locks on all entrance doors.
- Install peepholes or wide-angle viewers accessible to everyone in your household.
- Do not open the door to anyone you do not know.
- Install keyed locking devices that secure the doors to the frame. Sliding glass doors can be the easiest point of entry. Place a bar along the track to prevent the doors from being opened.
- Install devices to prevent the widows from being opened more than a couple of inches. Mare sure you can escape from a fire if necessary.
- Prune shrubbery that may hide windows - especially basement windows.
- Keep indoor lighting on.
- Install motion detector lighting.
- Install outdoor lighting. Place some lights out of reach from the ground. Aim lighting away from house so you can see if anybody is approaching.
When you are away from home
- Stop newspaper delivery.
- Hold your mail or ask a neighbor to pick it up.
- Ask a neighbor to tend your yard and watch your house.
- Never leave messages on an answering machine indicating you are away.