Citizen Service
Print this PageSite Feedback
Vendor requirements
Vending or “peddling” activity in the City of Charlotte is described as a transaction where food or merchandise is exchanged between a seller (on foot or by vehicle) and a buyer who pays a retail price for the goods. This activity is governed by the opens in a new windowCity of Charlotte’s Peddling Ordinance.

During the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, the City will uphold the current restrictions in the Peddling Ordinance that prohibit vending on public property locations (including streets, sidewalks, and plazas) within the Congested Business District in Center City Charlotte. opens in a new windowMap of Congested Business District.

Opportunities for those wishing to vend in Center City Charlotte during the Democratic National Convention are being offered by the Charlotte in 2012 Convention Host Committee.  Please visit their website for additional information at You are leaving the site

Permits and licensing
Every vendor who plans to sell items during the DNC must acquire two things: a zoning use permit and a business privilege license. More permits may be required based on the nature of the business.

Zoning use permit   Business privilege license
If vending is being planned on property during the DNC, the property owner or lessee is required to obtain a zoning use permit. Vending is not allowed on property that is zoned as residential. 

The permit costs $135 and is valid for 14 days from the date it is issued. You can acquire one at the Zoning Customer Service Counter, located at the 
Hal Marshall Center, 700 North Tryon Street.
All vendors must have a business privilege license in order to operate in Mecklenburg County.

You can learn more 
online and apply for or pay for your license in person at the Hal Marshall Center, 700 North Tryon Street.