The City of Charlotte, Planning Department will require Electronic Plans (EPLANS) for the submission of subdivision applications effective April 1, 2014. The EPLAN PDF format will be required for the following applications:
- Sketch Plan Review
- Preliminary Plan Review – Single Family, Multifamily, Mixed Use and Commercial Subdivision
- Preliminary Plan Revisions
- Final Plat Review – Minor Condo and Not Subject To (NST)
- Final Plat Revisions
Customers will complete an electronic application creating a subdivision record type and attach the plans along with any other documentation by accessing Accela Citizen Access. Customers will no longer submit paper plans or plans via email.
Subdivision reviewers will utilize Electronic Document Review (EDR) for the review of plan submittals. EDR is a fully integrated feature within Accela Automation that leverages Adobe® Acrobat® to provide review and markup of documents in the PDF format.
Once review comments are available customers will receive notification via an automated email regarding the status of their project. Customers may address review comments and resubmit via Accela Citizen Access. At the conclusion of the review cycle reviewers will attach an electronically stamped “approved” plan to the subdivision record followed by a notification of approval for the project.
Fee Payment Requirements:
Electronic fee payments are currently not included in the EPlan Submission and Review Process. All Subdivision fee payments should be submitted to the City Land Development Counter - 1st Floor of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Government Center. To begin the plan review process all fee payments are due at the time of the initial plan submission.
Plan Submission Requirements
- Plans must be "to scale", PDF format, scanned original plans, with professional seal & signature (or other acceptable electronic format per NCBELS regulations 21 NCAC 56.1103)
- Include a PDF of sealed engineering calculations, drainage area maps, exhibits, and/or supporting documentation
- Include a completed Financial Responsibility Form for projects involving land disturbance of one acre or greater.
- PLEASE NOTE - size limit including attached files: 50 MB
- Combine multiple PDF sheets in Acrobat, using the "Smaller file size" setting which compresses the image even more but keeps it legible.
- Ensure that all pages are in order, and rotated properly for viewing on-screen.
- Review fees must be paid using cash, check (payable to "City of Charlotte"), or an established Mecklenburg County account - see the User Fee Schedule.
Other Planning Department Review Fees
Rezoning / Zoning Administration Fees & Applications
Please contact Land Development Division by telephone at 704-336-6692 with any customer service questions about Accela Citizen Access or EPLAN Review.