The City's Brownfield Grant offers assistance to property owners, business owners and developers through a City-funded Brownfield Program to help overcome the barriers that contamination presents for the redevelopment of underutilized brownfield sites in targeted business corridors.
The program offers 50% matching funds in the form of reimbursement of eligible expenses with a cap of $20,000 per site for eligible assessment and cleanup activities for properties within the Business Corridor Revitalization Area.
Eligible expenses may include Phase I or II assessment activities or legal fees for negotiating a Brownfield agreement with the North Carolina Department of Natural Resources
. Sites suspected of contamination only from petroleum products are generally not eligible for funds.
Property must be in the Business Corridor Revitalization Geography. To find out if your property is eligible, input your address in the Neighborhood & Business Services Map Application
How the Program Works:
Additional Program Information:
- Interested applicants must submit a completed application to Neighborhood & Business Services. Copies of all existing environmental reports and assessments, together with plans for redevelopment of the property and cost estimates for all requested work must be included with the application.
- Approved applications will be awarded grant contracts for 50% of eligible expenses not to exceed the program maximum award amount, whichever is less.
- Applicants are responsible for obtaining all necessary governmental permits and authorizations.
- Applicant completes the approved activities and pays all vendors/contractors.
- The City does not reimburse for any work performed prior to application approval and contract signing.
- The City will authorize reimbursement payment after, among other things, completion of all eligible activities. Proof of payment is required for reimbursement. Funds are paid on actual costs incurred up to the maximum amount of the grant awarded.
City Program Documents:
- Projects may be phased, but sites are limited to the maximum award set forth above.
- Work is expected to be completed by professionals within 120 days of approval.
- No expenses will be reimbursed for work or costs incurred prior to the grant being awarded and the grant contract signed.
- Additional program requirements or restrictions may apply.
- For more information contact Gail Whitcomb at 704-336-5849.
Grant Application Form
Brownfield Assessment & Cleanup Grant Program Application
(Printable PDF) | Word application
Brownfield Grant Programs FAQs