Download the Big Box Demolition Grant Program Fact Sheet
(pdf)Download the Big Box Demolition Grant Program Application
(pdf)What is the Big Box Demolition Grant Program?
The Big Box Demolition Grant Program is a component of the Facade Improvement Grant
. The goal of these programs is to remove blight by bringing sites into conformance with current codes while working to remove long-time vacant commercial structures of at least 25,000 square feet. The program provides 50% reimbursement up to the maximum award amount. Maximum Award:
$45,000 or 50% of total project costs, whichever is lessEligible Expenses
- Approved big box demolition expenses and associated costs for debris removal.
- Costs related to installing infrastructure such as sidewalk, curb & gutter, and landscaping that brings sites into conformance with current codes.
- Costs related to securing the site such as approved fencing, gates, security lighting, etc.
- Vacant big box property where building has been vacant at least 2-years. Big box is defined as a commercial big box building of at least 25,000 sq/ft. Small buildings are not eligible.
- Buildings under Code Enforcement must receive written approval from authorized Code Enforcement Staff to be considered for participation in the program.
- All related real property taxes must be paid in full.
- National and regional chains and non-profit entities are not eligible.
- Applicants must submit evidence of legitimate financial need.
Owners of eligible buildings that have been vacant a minimum of 2 consecutive years and are located within the Business Corridor Revitalization Geography are eligible to apply for participation in the program. Enter your property's address in the Neighborhood & Business Services Map Application
to find out if your property lies within the eligible geography or view the Business Corridor Revitalization Program Geography Map (246k/pdf)
. How does the program work?
Download an Application
- Applicant submits application to Neighborhood & Business Services.
- An inter-departmental team of City staff reviews and approves proposals including the scope of work.
- Every project is unique and the scope of work required for grant participation will vary from project to project. Applicants whose property is under code enforcement should understand that the scope of work required to comply with the Code may not be the same as that required for participation in the Big Box Demolition Grant program.
- Upon approval, the applicant will enter into a contract with the City setting forth, among other things, the work to be performed as approved by the review team.
- Applicant completes the approved scope of work, pays all its contractors in full, and submits paid receipts and cancelled checks for all work completed to City.
- Staff will be permitted to inspect the project to ensure conformance with the grant contract.
- After completion of the project and receipt of proof of payment, City reimburses Applicant for 50% of actual costs incurred, up to the maximum amount of the grant awarded, after completion of the entire project.
- Expenses will be reimbursed only after the approved demolition scope is complete as required by the grant contract and site is cleared of all debris.
- The City will not contract to perform any of the work.
- Applicants are responsible for any and all known or unknown environmental hazards on the site.
- Applicants are encouraged to conduct environmental assessments including but not limited to Phase I and II assessments.
- Applicants are responsible for obtaining all necessary governmental permits and authorizations.
- All work and the progress of work must be completed in conformance with all federal, state and local laws, regulations, codes and ordinances of any and all kinds, including but not limited to the Charlotte Non-Residential Building Code. It is the sole responsibility of Applicant to ensure that all legal requirements are met.
- The City does not reimburse for work done prior to application approval and contract signing.
- Approved projects should be completed within 120 days of contract signing or funds may not be guaranteed.
or call Neighborhood & Business Services at 704-432-1395 for more information.Additional program requirements and/or restrictions may apply.