As the Mayor’s Youth Employment Program (MYEP) celebrates its 30th year of building tomorrow’s workforce, we’re inviting local businesses to join our growing team of Superheroes of Youth Workforce Development.
Economic mobility studies show that students who are exposed to job opportunities stay in school, graduate and achieve lifelong success. With the support of our local business community, we have the opportunity to serve even more students each year and connect local entrepreneurs and businesses with youth through jobs, internships, pre-apprenticeships, job shadowing and career exploration events.
We are actively recruiting businesses to be a superhero for our students in the following ways:
Become a Host Employer
- Internships are a minimum of eight weeks during the summer, which may be adjusted based on employer specifications
- Youth work a minimum of 20 hours per week, at a minimum rate of $8 per hour
- Interns are monitored closely throughout the summer by MYEP staff
- In some cases, youth are available to continue work throughout the school year
Your role as a host employer will include:
- Identifying a supervisor who will be able to devote time to the intern
- Developing a clear job description for the intern
- Providing orientation or job-specific training as needed
Benefits to being a host employer include having a prescreened intern who holds the Career Readiness Training Certification as well as direct support and monitoring of the intern through regular communication with MYEP staff.
Host a tour of your company
- Introduce students to a career pathway
- Help students develop a realistic outlook of careers
CHARLOTTE CAREER DISCOVERY DAY
Although the 2016 Charlotte Career Discovery Day is right around the corner, we’d love to have you join us at next year’s event. Later this year, look out for more ways you can get involved with providing thousands of local high school students with career exploration opportunities at the 2017 Charlotte Career Discovery Day by:
- Becoming a Gold, Silver or Bronze Sponsor
- Registering as a vendor (Private and nonprofit rates apply.)
- Providing event volunteers
When you sign up to be a Superhero of Youth Workforce Development, you're doing more than providing exposure to local careers and industries. You're making a difference in the lives of youth and helping to provide upward mobility for our city and local students.
For more information about how you can join our superhero team, please email email@example.com.