About E&PM
City Properties
Print this PageSite Feedback
Tree Management
A staff of highly qualified arborists monitors the health of Charlotte's dense tree canopy for which Charlotte is known. This division provides key services such as:

  • Street tree pruning
  • Inventory of street trees
  • Street tree selection and planting to replace dead or diseased trees
  • Administration of the Cooperative Tree Planting program with communities
  • Preservation of public and private trees on Capital Improvement Projects for the City
  • Design and implementation of planted medians and intersections
​​​​ Charlotte's Cooperative Tree Planting Program offers neighborhoods the opportunity to partner with the City to plant tr​ees in Charlotte neighborhoods. For more information, contact 704-336-4262.

S​​ee Our Work

Interesting Facts

  • A mature oak can absorb, transport, and evaporate over fifty gallons of water a day. That is the equivalent of a bath tub full of water and helps cool our city.
  • A mature oak produces over 2,000 acorns in a good year. The chances of an acorn becoming a grown tree are less than 1 in 10,000.
  • The oldest living thing is the Bristlecone Pine (Pinus longaeva). It lives more than 4,000 years.
  • The tallest tree in the United States is a Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) in California. It is 369 feet tall. Almost half the height of the Bank of America building. The tallest street trees in Charlotte are a little over 100 feet tall.
  • Annually two mature oaks can produce enough oxygen for a family of four while absorbing all the carbon produced by their two cars.
  • Charlotte annually spends $2.87 per person on its street trees. We spend $11.83 per tree.
  • Charlotte has an estimated 160,000 street trees.
  • 16% of our street trees are Willow Oak.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I have the street tree(s) pruned or inspected?

Call 704-336-4262 to initiate a Work Request. An inspector will look at your street trees, determine what needs to be done, and assign a crew to complete the work.

Can I have street trees planted in my neighborhood?
The City of Charlotte has a Cooperative Tree Planting Program to help neighborhoods have street trees planted. Citizens help defray some of the costs of the program and the City plants the trees the following planting season. For more information call 704-336-4262.

How do I report a street sign or intersection that is blocked by overhanging foliage?
Call 311.

How can I have a sidewalk cleared of overhanging trees and/or grass?
Call 311.

A street tree was removed from in front of my house. How can I have it replaced?
Call 704-336-4262 to initiate a Street Tree Request. An inspector will look at the site to see if there is a suitable location for a tree. If there is, one will be planted the following planting season.

Who can I ask about a tree in my yard?
Call the NC Cooperative Extension Service at 704-336-2082. For other information on trees, lawns, and landscape plants, visit their website.

Insects are eating the leaves of the trees. What is it? What can I do?
Call the NC Cooperative Extension Service at 704-336-2082. For other information on trees, lawns, and landscape plants, visit their website.

What is the Charlotte Tree Ordinance?
Chapter 21 of the City Code is titled “Trees.” This Tree Ordinance protects public trees within the street right of way in Charlotte. It protects certain private trees on commercial sites, multi-family sites, and single family developments. It also requires trees to be planted on most of these sites.

What is the Tree Advisory Commission?
The Charlotte Tree Advisory Commission is a board of 10 volunteer citizens who advise the City Manager and City Council on matters related to the tree canopy of Charlotte. They also conduct special service projects, and hold hearings on Tree Ordinance appeals.

What are the best trees to plant in Charlotte?
View our list of Recommended Plants for Roadway Landscapes.This is a list of trees that have performed very well as street trees and others that have not. Be sure not to plant medium or large maturing trees near power lines. Before planting in the street right of way, you must obtain a permit from the City Arborist’s office (704-336-4262).

Who is responsible for pruning trees from around power lines?
Each utility is responsible for maintaining their overhead wires. You can reach them by the following links:

Tree Management Documents, Forms & Resources

Contact Landscape Management