It's About Vision:
The Charlotte Gateway Station (CGS) will be a comprehensive multi-modal transportation facility in vibrant uptown Charlotte at the intersection of West Trade and Graham Streets. This signature passenger station will provide both long-distance travelers and daily-commuters with greater accessibility to regional connections as well as to Charlotte's thriving employment, entertainment and cultural centers.
A station area visioning workshop was held August 1-3, 2016 to gather initial public input on land use, development opportunities, transportation connections, and desired amenities. Based on the input received, three vision concepts were developed. A summary of all three options is available: Charlotte Gateway Station Area Concepts.pdf
Wilkes Extension Concept
- Stand-alone train station fronting a pedestrian-oriented street
- Neighborhood-scale, mixed-use development
- Public plaza as “urban living room”
- Adjacent ground-level bus facility
The Wilkes Extension Concept consists of low to mid-rise development blending the neighborhood-scale station into the surrounding area. This concept would extend Wilkes Place as a pedestrian-friendly street from Trade Street to 4th Street, serving as the front door to the train station.
Wilkes Extension Concept (post workshop).pdf
Bridge Station Concept
- Iconic train station over Trade Street
- Mid-rise, mixed use development
- Large public plazas oriented toward nearby attractions
- Bus facility integrated below mixed-use development
The Bridge Station Concept includes an iconic design feature above Trade Street that would be incorporated into the station design. This concept establishes a strong focal point for the train station, while surrounding mixed use development and public plazas connect to Uptown amenities.
Bridge Station Concept (post workshop).pdf
Atrium Station Concept
- Iconic entrance on Graham Street
- Station is integrated into larger-scale development
- Grand public space fronted by an outdoor plaza
- Bus facility integrated below mixed use development
The Atrium Station Concept envisions large-scale development integrated with a train station, with grand interior civic space as a design feature. This concept extends the reach of the train station to Graham Street through a central atrium.
Atrium Station Concept (post workshop).pdf
More information regarding each concept will be available soon. Additional public outreach will occur in October 2016. For questions or comments regarding the station area plan call CATS customer service at 704-336-RIDE(7433) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.