The Development Division maintains responsibility for planning, coordination, development, and management of new public transit projects. The Division:
Key Ongoing Activities
- Serves as liaison with local, State and Federal agencies.
- Conducts research, studies, and long range transportation planning.
- Administers planning, engineering, design, procurement and development activities involved in capital projects.
- Conducts public involvement and community relations activities.
- Represent transit interests in policy development.
Transportation Planning and Coordination
Land Use Planning and Coordination
- Provide public transportation input into the region's transportation planning process.
- Serve as liaison to MUMPO/TCC and surrounding MPO's.
- Coordinate with CDOT, NCDOT, and SCDOT transportation planning activities.
- Prepare Federal and State required updates and reports on public transportation planning activities.
- Coordinate with County and Town representatives on transportation planning activities.
- Prepare updates of the public transportation elements of the 2025 Transit/Land Use Plan.
- Conduct public transportation systems planning activities.
- Provide public transportation input into the area's land use planning process.
- Review development and rezoning proposals for conformance with plans and transit-oriented development principles and concepts.
- Coordinate with CMPC, Town and County representatives on land use policy and planning activities.
- Project Development and Management
- Develop plans for implementation of passenger facilities contained in long-range plans.
- Administer rapid transit project conceptual engineering, and final design and procurement activities.
- Manage bus passenger facility engineering and design and oversee construction activities.
- Develop and manage bus route facilities program in cooperation with the Operations Division.
- Administer a Public Art in Transit Program.
- Coordinate with E/PM, CMPC, CDOT, CMPD and Neighborhood Development on project development and implementation activities.
- Coordinate with NCDOT, SCDOT, County and Town representatives on project development and implementation activities.
- Conduct public involvement and community relations activities in support of transportation/land-use planning and project implementation efforts.