News & Traffic
About Us
Customer Care
Grease Free
Drought Central
Print this PageSite Feedback
Fire Hydrant Program for Temporary Service
Every day businesses such as street cleaners, pressure washers, and those working on construction projects need to use water from a fire hydrant. The backflow prevention program issues permits for these customers to obtain water for non-drinking use from a public fire hydrant safely and legally.  We offer two types of permits:

Specific Hydrant Permit  Brochure
Charlotte Water (CLTWater) will provide temporary water service by means of a public fire hydrant to customers who qualify for this service at locations within utilities service area. CLTWater offer two sizes of connections - a garden hose and 2 ½" NST fire hose.

For pricing information, click here.

Vehicle Mounted Permit
This permit allows for businesses to use water from public fire hydrants at various locations daily.

For an informational packet regarding temporary water service, please fax your company letterhead (attention backflow) requesting information to 311, 704-336-7600,  or email us.

Tanker Truck Program handout (pdf)

Backflow prevention on a fire hydrant
To view the cost for all special services, visit our Rates and Fees page.