CDOT Requests
Frequently Used CDOT Services
Citizen Services
Print this PageSite Feedback
Multiway Stops
Neighborhood residents may request multi-way stop sign controls at intersections. The procedure for obtaining multi-way stops involves a two-step process:

Step 1:
Obtain a multi-way stop request form from CDOT or submit a request online. Complete and mail in the form furnishing information needed for CDOT to begin an evaluation to determine if the intersections qualify for multi-way stop controls. The evaluation will determine if the location(s) requested are eligible based on the criteria below.

Intersections which are not clearly visible on the approaches not previously stopped, or are intersections which, by CDOT judgment, motorists would not expect to stop, may be deemed ineligible.

(effective 10/23/06)

  • Streets with 600+ vehicles per day, allow both three- and four-way multi-way stops.
  • Multi-way stops must be removed from streets with less than 2500 vehicles per day if speed humps are installed.
  • Speed humps and multi-way stops are only permitted on streets between 1000-2500 vehicles if the street already has multi-way stops, there is a continued, documented speeding problem, and has gaps between multi-way stops greater than 600 feet.  Speed humps maybe installed in these gaps to further calm the street. 
  • The street must have a speed limit of 25 - 30 mph, and documented speeding problem of 5+ mph over the posted speed limit.

Step 2:
If intersections are eligible for multi-way stop controls, neighborhood support is desired, and can be obtained by one of two methods:

1)  A letter of endorsement by the neighborhood association.  The neighborhood association will be required to notify affected property owners of the proposed installation of the multi-way stop, and no petition will be required, or

2)  If the neighborhood association does not support the proposed service, the resident can petition.  Petitions require signatures of at least 60% of all property owners within a 1200 ft. radius of the multi-way. If a petition is required, the CDOT will provide a petition that identifies those streets/blocks to be petitioned.

Letters of endorsement or petition(s) should be mailed to the Public Service & Communication Division. After receipt and validation, multi-way stop sign controls will be installed.

CDOT will install multi-way stops at some intersections due to special safety or traffic flow problems, but where a traffic signal is not yet justified. Guidelines followed are the national "Uniform Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices."

To request a multi-way stop, click here or call the CharMeck 311 Call Center at 311.

multiway (image)