Citizens may request that the names of streets within the Charlotte City Limits be changed. A petition of 60% of the property owners on the street will be required for non-agency/departmental requests.
The petition form will be sent to the citizen making the request as soon as the recommended name is reviewed to make sure it is not a duplication or a prohibited name.
Guidelines for Street Names
- Name plus two-letter type (Rd, St, Ln, etc) cannot exceed 21 letters
- Name should include a roadway type
- No directional prefixes or suffixes (N, S, E W)
- No duplication. For example, Parsons Dr., when there is already a Parsons Rd., is not permissible, but Parsons Hill Rd would be acceptable.
- Street names involving a full name of an individual are discouraged where the individual's last name only is an available name
- A full continuous street name along the length of a street is encouraged. This discourages the Morehead-Queens- Providence situation.
- Possibly offensive names are not permitted
- No business names
- No punctuation
Click here for an online Street Name Change Request Form.