Q. What services does the City of Charlotte Solid Waste Services provide?
A. The City of Charlotte sponsors the Curb It! residential collection program. Garbage, recycling, yard waste and bulky item collection are all services offered under the Curb It! program for single-family residences and multi-unit communities with fewer than 30 units in the City of Charlotte boundaries.
Q. Is there a cost for Curb It! services?
A. Curb It! services are funded through City of Charlotte tax-dollars. There is no additional cost for services to residents.
- Residents should place garbage in the 96-gallon garbage rollout container provided by the City of Charlotte. Garbage not placed in the cart will not be collected.
- Garbage is collected weekly on residents' scheduled collection day.
The City of Charlotte sponsors a voluntary residential recycling program.
- Recyclables are collected every-other-week on the same scheduled collection day as garbage and yard waste.
- Recyclable items accepted for recycling collection include: aerosol cans, aluminum, cardboard, glass, juice boxes, paper, plastics 1-5 & 7, spiral paper cans, steel/tin cans, wax-coated milk and juice cartons.
- Residents are asked to place all recyclable items loosely in the 96-gallon recycling rollout cart provided to each household.
The City of Charlotte offers unlimited yard waste collection for residents of the City of Charlotte.
- Yard waste is defined as grass, weeds, leaves, tree trimmings, plants, shrubbery pruning, and such other similar materials which are generated in the maintenance of yards and gardens, which are separated from tether solid waste materials and placed in a designated recycling collection area. Yard waste shall not include trees, tree limbs, brush and other material resulting from commercial tree trimmers and/or commercial lawn care services.
- Yard waste should be placed at curbside on the same day as residents' scheduled garbage collection day.
Household items too large for the garbage rollout cart and not eligible for recycling or yard waste collection are considered bulky items and must be scheduled for collection. To schedule bulky item collection:
- Submit an online request or
- Call 311 (704.336.7600).
Q. Can I put cardboard in my recycling rollout cart?
A. Cardboard should be cut (not folded) into 3X3 feet pieces and placed in the recycling rollout cart.
Q. What items are eligible for bulky item scheduling?
A. Please click here to find the list of approved bulky items.
Q. When scheduling a bulky item pick up, what information should I have available?
A. When calling to schedule a bulky item collection, please have the following information available:
- Your name
- Your address
- A description of items being collected
Q. How do I get garbage and recycling rollout carts
A. Residents moving into new structures should call 311 (704.336.7600) to order new service.
Q. Can I take my rollout cart with me when I move?
A. 96-gallon garabage and recycling rollout carts are assigned to each qualifying residential address in the Charlotte city limits. The carts are the property of the City of Charlotte, and cannot be taken with residents when they move. Rollout carts purchased by residents are the resident's private property, and can be taken with residents when they move.
Q. How can I get an additional garbage rollout cart?
A. Residents are allowed the collection of two garbage rollout carts per week, and can purchase one additional cart for $44.86. To purchase an additional cart, please call 311 (704.336.7600).
Q. How can I get an additional recycling rollout cart?
A. Residents are allowed the collection of two recycilng rollout carts every other week, and can purchase an additional cart for $40. To purchase an additional cart, please call 311 (704.336.7600).
Q. What if my rollout cart needs service?
A. Please call 311 (704.336.7600) to place a damaged rollout cart service request. Carts scheduled for service must be placed at the curb the day the request is made. If you forget to place the cart at the curb by that time, please call to reschedule.
Q. When should I put my items at the curb?
A. Please place your garbage, recyclables, yard waste, and bulky items at the curb no sooner than the day before your scheduled collection and no later than 6:30 am on your scheduled collection day. Rollout carts must be removed from the curb by midnight on the day of collection. A minimum $50 citation may be issued if you leave any carts at the curb past midnight on your collection day.
Q. What is the schedule for pick up if my collection day falls on a holiday?
A. SWS observes the following holidays: Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. If your collection day falls on an observed holiday you will receive service the next business day, with Friday customers receiving collection Saturday.
Q. How do I find my day of collection?
A. To find or verify your collection day, click on the GeoPortal link.
Q. Why is my garbage, recycling, bulky items and yard waste not collected at the same time by the same truck?
A. Because the disposal processes differ for garbage, recyclables, yard waste and bulky items, each type of item has its own dedicated collection truck. While these trucks collect your items on the same day, they do not necessarily arrive at the same time.