If your carbon monoxide detector alarms…do not hesitate, go outside and call 911.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is the number 1 cause of poisoning deaths in the United States, killing more than 3,800 individuals annually.
CO is a colorless, odorless gas. Because you cannot see, taste or smell it, CO can kill you before you know it is there. Symptoms of CO poisoning include flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, confusion and breathing difficulties.
CO is a byproduct of incomplete combustion of fossil fuels such as natural gas, oil, wood or coal. Common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning include; malfunctioning appliances, furnaces, stoves, ovens, water heaters charcoal grills and motor vehicles.
How to Protect Yourself:
- You should have a UL approved battery operated carbon monoxide alarm on each level of your home. Batteries should be checked monthly and batteries replaced when you change your clocks.
- To protect your family have a qualified professional check all fuel burning appliances, furnaces, venting and chimney systems at least once a year or as recommended by the manufacturer.
For More Information: Consumer Product Safety Commission