Funding for the sculpture was generated from the City’s one percent for arts ordinance. Each year an amount equal to one percent of eligible capital projects at the Airport is allocated for public art. The Airport is owned and operated by the City of Charlotte and, as such, contributes to this fund. As the Airport is a self-sustaining enterprise fund, revenues from Airport user and vendor fees helps fund the Aviation Public Art Program. No tax payer dollars were used.
Some of CLT's permanent collection includes:
- A 1/2 scale replica of the original Wright Flyer flown by Orville and Wilbur Wright on December 17, 1903, was installed in Concourse E, the Airport's regional carrier concourse, on December 12, 2003.
- A 15-foot-high bronze sculpture of Queen Charlotte which can be found in the CLT's Queen's Courtyard, located outside the terminal building's entrance. The sculpture was dedicated in 1990 and is the centerpiece of the large plaza featuring a 40-foot reflecting pool.
For more information about CLT's Art Program, contact Airport Public Affairs, 704-359-4000.