How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
Real Estate Tax
Registered Motor Vehicle Tax
Business & Personal Property
Customer Service Survey

Property Taxes

Property taxes are also known as ad valorem taxes.  Ad valorem is defined as according to value.  Mecklenburg County property taxes are based on the value of taxable property.  Examples of taxable property are real estate, registered motor vehicle, and personal property. 

Real Estate Property Tax is based on the value of real estate as of January 1st of the current year.  Real estate property refers to the physical land and everything attached to the land such as houses, barns, garages, etc.  Real estate property also includes property that can be removed from the land such as a single-wide mobile home attached to a foundation.

Registered Motor Vehicle Tax is based on the value of the vehicle as of January 1st of the current year.  Registered motor vehicles within the City of Charlotte are also assessed a $30.00 auto fee.  Owners must pay their vehicle taxes in full before they can renew their registration.

Personal Property Tax is based on the value of the personal property as of January 1st of the current year. Personal property includes individual personal property and business personal property. Examples of individual personal property are boats, campers, airplanes, and income producing farm equipment.  Examples of business personal property are machinery, equipment, furniture, computers, and supplies.

For fastest service, please have your tax bill and credit card information available, click the link below, and follow the instructions as prompted.


For due dates and additional payment options, click a link below:

Real Estate

Registered Motor Vehicle

Personal Property


 Should you have any questions concerning any of these taxes, please refer to our FAQ page, or contact:

The CharMeck 311 by dialing 311 within Mecklenburg County limits or 704-336-7600 outside of Mecklenburg County

Sales receipt taxes are those taxes based on the sales receipts of a particular type of sales transaction. Examples include Room Occupancy, Prepared Food and Beverage, and Vehicle Rental taxes. Privilege Licenses are based according to the type of business operated and/or the amount of annual gross sales. Beer and Wine Licenses are based on a set fee schedule. 

For more information on sales receipt taxes, please refer to our
Business Taxes page.


Printed from: