The Mecklenburg County Community Child Fatality Prevention and Protection Team is a multidisciplinary group charged to review all child fatalities in Mecklenburg County occurring in children between the ages of birth through seventeen.
The responsibilities of the Community Child Fatality Prevention and Protection Team include:
- Reviewing selected active cases in which children are being served by child protective services
- Reviewing cases in which a child died as a result of suspected abuse or neglect
- Reviewing cases of additional child fatalities
- Submitting to the Board of County Commissioners recommendations as well as advocating for system improvements and needed resources where gaps and deficiencies may exist
- Submitting child fatality review findings and recommendations to the State.
Child Fatality Report
The Mecklenburg County Community Child Fatality Prevention and Protection Team would like to present the 2011 Annual Child Fatality Report with the most recent infant and child death data. The data being presented is about 15 months old due to the time it takes the North Carolina State Center for Health Statistics (NC SCHS) to collect, enter, and distribute local data to each county. Regardless of the age of the data, the trends remind us of important issues regarding infant and child safety in Mecklenburg County. These trends highlight the need for your continued support of our efforts to improve the safety and well being of infants and children in our community.