The congregate meal program provides hot, nutritious meals to seniors at 16 dining sites throughout Mecklenburg County. Dining rooms are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm. Hours are 8 a.m. -5 p.m. See Frequently Asked Questions.
About the Meals
All meals meet 1/3 of the dietary reference intake for seniors and are approved by a registered dietitian.
Seniors who attend this program participate in variety of programs such as exercise, arthritis management, arts and crafts, bingo and trips. The meal site is an ideal place for seniors to socialize and build companionship. There are also volunteer opportunities that are offered to seniors at the site.
Although optional, we encourage seniors to participate in health and wellness and social activities at the site as a way of enhancing the quality of life. We do not provide a take-out meal service.
Transportation is often available for those who have trouble getting to sites on their own.
There are also volunteer opportunities that are offered to seniors at the site.
Who qualifies for this service?
- Mecklenburg County residents, age 60 + and their spouses regardless of age when the older client is a nutrition client
- People under age 60 with disabilities who reside with and accompany eligible people to meal sites
- People under age 60 with disabilities who reside in housing facilities occupied primarily by older adults at which a congregate nutrition site is located
Note: No income eligibility test is required to qualify for this service. A voluntary donation is requested.
How to apply?
- Call Just 1 Call (704-432-1111) or Senior Nutrition Information Line (704-336-3144) to obtain information on location of sites.
- Call Just 1 Call if client needs county transportation service to go to a nutrition site
- Visit the closest site and complete registration form
- View the site locations below for a list of sites in Mecklenburg County
Congregate Meal Site Locations
Below is a list of our meal/congregate sites. For more information call either the site coordinator or the Senior Nutrition Information line 704-336-3144.