Carbon Monoxide poisoning causes severe and permanent health problems and death. It is preventable. Take action to reduce the needless cost, pain, suffering and death CO causes.
- Install a CO alarm that's UL (Underwriters Laboratories) listed or CSA (Canadian Standards Association) approved.
- Install appliances according to manufacturer's instructions and follow them for safe operation of all fuel-burning appliances.
- Purchase only appliances that have been approved by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
- Every year have your heating system, vents, chimney and flue inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician.
- Whenever possible, choose fuel-burning appliances that can be vented to the outdoors.
- Examine vents and chimneys for improper connections, visible rust or stains.