In the event of an emergency some of your best help and support may be from your neighbors. Here's a list of things you can do to help make your neighborhood safer.
- Meet with your neighbors at least once a year. Get to know them.
- Create a personal support network. Identify a neighbor. Agree to watch each other's home when you are away. Check on each other after a disaster. Swap keys and lists of whom to notify in an emergency.
- Start a Neighborhood Watch program and meet periodically with your neighbors and the local Community Police Officers.
- Attend talks on neighborhood crime watch and emergency response.
- Encourage your block to prepare a neighborhood preparedness plan.
- Report unusual or suspicious behavior to the local law enforcement.
Return to Be Prepared