News & Traffic
About Us
Customer Care
Grease Free
Print this PageSite Feedback
Notify Me, Free email subscription about New Connections / New Services to install water meters and sewer taps

Installation and Development Services (formerly known as New Services Division)
5100 Brookshire Boulevard, Charlotte, NC 28216
open 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

New Water Meter or Sewer Tap for a Residential / Single-Family Property

man setting new water meterDo you need water service turned on?
To request water to be turned on / off or transfer your account, call 311 or 704-336-7600 and ask for "water move in / move out or to transfer a water account."  CharMeck‚Äč 311 can assist from 7:00 a.m. through 7:00 p.m. seven days a week.   More options.

Residential Brochure
Do you have a well or septic tank‚Äč and need a water meter or sewer tap connected? 

Start with this brochure about applying for new residential service.

What does a typical house need?
The common residential service is a 3/4-inch water tap and a 4-inch sewer. Before work can be scheduled, residential customers must pay the non-refundable water connection and capacity fee for each service needed.

Is water / sewer service available to my property?
Call 311 or 704-336-7600 (ask for "Charlotte Water New Tap Request").  

Before a water meter or wastewater tap can be installed, review below forms: 

Did you know that the pipe from your house to the water meter and sewer tap is your responsibility?  Please do not have a licensed plumber connect you to City services until you are notified that the water or sewer main is ready.

developer-commercial-industrial-projects  New Services Brochure 

              START HERE: 
                       Commercial customer brochure.

Connection and capacity fees. Fees for town homes, businesses, and multi-use properties vary according to size of service. Before work can be scheduled, commercial and residential customers must pay the non-refundable water connection and capacity fee for each service needed. Security deposits are required for all water services except -inch residential.

Before a water meter or wastewater tap can be installed, review below forms:

Water Meter or Sewer Tap Pre-Installation Forms

Other Forms: Additional Resources for Developer Funded or Donated Projects


Meter or Tap Installation Forms


Required Backflow Prevention Devices

Applying for a new service for commercial property or an irrigation meter?
Please check out backflow information and application.

For larger construction projects, typically commercial projects, you will need to submit a quote request to engineering. It will need to include the full size utility plan sheet, location and size of proposed water or sewer connection, labeled street names, plan scale, vicinity/location map, directional arrow, and a business card or return address.

Some projects will also require compliance with the NCDOT Enchroachment requirements.

For more information about water and sewer taps, email us or call 311 or 704-336-7600 (ask for "New Tap Request") or 704-432-2854.


Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Connection Fee?
A connection fee
is the cost of installing a tap from the service pipe (under street) to your property. The connection fee is based on the average cost of installing taps last year.

What is a Capacity Fee?
A capacity fee
is to pay for the new customer impact on the overall public system. The average residential household uses more than 8,000 gallons of water a month. The capacity fee will help provide for the additional improvements necessary to provide water and sewer services for the new customer. Sewer capacity fee is based on water meter size.

What is the Estimated Timeline for a New Water Meter or Sewer Tap Installation?
Approximately 6-8 weeks after receipt of payment.

What is the Estimated Timeline to install water or sewer pipes under a street to a property (or street main extension) for a new tap or meter connection?
Approximately 6-9 months after receipt of payment.

Once you've put in the request for service, it may still be several months before the water or sewer pipe can be extended to your home or business. Crews must investigate property lines, make plans for construction, and obtain the proper permits before construction can even begin. The construction process may also take longer if the project is difficult and or impeded by bad weather.

What is a Cleanout?
The cleanout is the sewer opening located in the front yard of residential customers. It looks like a white circle PVC pipe sticking out of the ground and helps plumbers and city crews clean sewer laterals and respond to sewer backups in the home.