Collection crews will only collect the following household hazardous waste (HHW) materials in your garbage rollout cart:
- Dried paint cans with lids removed
- Kitty litter that is double plastic bags and securely tied
- Soiled infant diapers placed in double plastic bags and securely tied
Mecklenburg County Recycling Centers offer Charlotte residents an opportunity to dispose of HHW. Many of the items brought in are recycled into new products.
HHW Items Accepted:
Items Not Accepted:
- Flammable oils
- Cleaning agents
- Household batteries (alkaline and nickel-cadmium)
- Lead acid batteries
- Photographic chemicals
- Aerosol cans
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Pool chemicals
- Unknown chemicals
Mecklenburg County Recycling Centers That Accept HHW:
Hickory Grove Recycling Center
- Used tires
- Pressurized gas cylinders greater than 20 pounds
- Ammunition, gun powder or explosives
- Smoke detectors
- Radioactive materials
- Bio-infectious materials
- Regular household trash
8007 Pence Rd.
Foxhole Recycling Center
17131 Lancaster Hwy.
North Mecklenburg Recycling Center
12300 N. Statesville Rd.
West Mecklenburg Recycling Center
8440 Byrum Dr.
HHW Brochure - English Version
HHW Brochure - Spanish Version
For more information about HHW, visit www.wipeoutwaste.com