Residential Services
Special Services
Print this PageSite Feedback
Garbage Rollout Cart
Moved into a new home?

If you have moved into a new home (that doesn't already have a garbage rollout cart), you may request a garbage cart by calling 311 (704.336.7600). Please allow two service days for cart delivery.


Whether you are moving across town or out of the Charlotte area, please do not take your garbage rollout cart with you. The rollout carts belong to the City of Charlotte and are tied to a residential address.

Need A Second Garbage Rollout Cart?

Each household is provided with one 96-gallon garbage rollout cart, and allowed to purchase one additional rollout cart. We encourage residents to review all options for garbage disposal prior to ordering a garbage container.

If you occasionally have extra garbage, you may want to consider participating in the Recycle It! residential recycling program. Recycling can help create additional room in your garbage container for non-recyclable items. The cost for an additional garbage cart is $40. To purchase an additional cart, please submit an additional cart request. You have two options for submitting a second rollout request:

  • Call 311 (704.336.7600) 
  • Email nmsmith@ci.charlotte.nc.us - Provide, in the body of your email, your name, address and daytime phone number. A Solid Waste Services representative will contact you regarding your request.

Cart Repair & Replacement

If your garbage rollout cart needs repair or replacement, please submit a cart repair or replacement request to nmsmith@ci.charlotte.nc.us. Please provide the following information when submitting a cart repair request online:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your telephone number
  • Your email address
  • Type of cart needing repair or replacement (garbage and/or recycling)
  • Nature of problem (i.e., lid, wheel broken, etc.)
It is important that you provide this information so that a Solid Waste Services representative can contact you regarding your request.

In order to receive cart repair services, rollout carts must be at curbside for service beginning the day the service request is made. Please allow up to 2 business days for cart repair or replacement.

Note: If cart is not available for service, you must call 311 (704.336.7600) to reschedule service. There is a 2 business day turnaround on missed service requests. Cart can be repaired and/or picked up with or without collection materials in the cart. Disability customers do not have to place carts at curbside for repair or replacement.