Map Functions (Left Menu Items)
The menu items along the left side of the screen are functions that a user can perform on the map. Follow these simple instructions to perform these map functions:
- Zoom In: To zoom in to an area of the map, first select the “Zoom In” menu option then click and drag a box around the area of the map where you wish to zoom. The area that is highlighted as you click and drag your mouse will become the new map area. (Please note that this application will not zoom in closer than approximately 0.5 square miles to help protect the identity of victims. This control is put in place specifically to facilitate the protection of a victim’s identity for very serious, sensitive crimes such as rapes and other sex offenses.)
- Zoom Out: To zoom out, first select the “Zoom Out” menu option then click and drag a box around the area of the map from which you wish to zoom out. The map will be re-centered around the area that is highlighted as you click and drag your mouse.
- Zoom Full: Selecting this menu option will automatically take you to the full county view of the map.
- Zoom Previous: Selecting this menu option will automatically display the previous map viewed by the user. Use this option to go back to where you were before you zoomed or panned the map.
- Pan: The Pan menu option allows you to move the map in any direction. To pan, select the “Pan” menu option then click and drag the map in any direction.
- Identify: The Identify menu option is designed to help you find out more about an item on the map. When you select this option, you will be prompted in the left menu area of the screen to select a “Layer:” to identify (i.e. Reported Incidents, Calls for Service, Patrol Divisions). Simply select the layer of interest then click on the map item you want to identify. Information about the selected item(s) will appear in a table in the “Results” area below the map.
- Select: The Select menu option allows the user to generate a summary and listing of Reported Incidents or Calls for Service in an area (1,000 feet or 0.5 miles) around a location on the map.
For more information on how to use the other functions of the mapping system, please see the Help/Tutorial located on the map menu.