Warren Cooksey, a Republican, was elected in 2007 and is serving his second term on Council. He chairs the Restructuring Government Committee and is a member of the Housing and Neighborhood Development and Transportation and Planning Committees.
Before his election to City Council, Cooksey was a Council appointee to the Charlotte Mecklenburg Planning Commission from 2000- 07, serving on the executive committee from 2003 - 06 and as vice chair in 2006-07.
He received his bachelor's degree in history from Davidson College. He completed the E.A. Morris Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in 2006, a program to prepare North Carolinians to become active in public service, and was inducted as a fellow of the Institute of Political Leadership in 1998.
He is employed with the Wachovia Wealth Management Group. His previous employment was with First Union Capital Management Group, First Union Capital Markets Group and First Union Mortgage Corporation.
Council Member Cooksey's involvement in local organizations include the following:
Contact Warren Cooksey
- Charlotte Convention and Visitors Bureau board of directors (1998 - 2004), executive committee (2000-2003) and Chairman 2003-04)
- League of Women Voters' Civics 101 program, teacher
- Charlotte Chamber's Legislative Agenda Task Force member (1998 to 2007)
- Carolinas 2000, member, secretary/ treasurer (1997-98)
- The Charlotte Observer, community columnist 2000)
14025 Dunbritton Lane #607
Charlotte, NC 28277
City Council Focus Area Plans