Passenger Pick-up /Drop-off
- Avoid looping around the Airport.
- Do not park or pull off roadways to wait for arriving travelers.
- CLT offers convenient options to drop off or pick up passengers.
- Airport Overlook – Drivers can also avoid Airport traffic by waiting for arriving travelers at the Overlook located on Airport Overlook Drive off Old Dowd Road. The lot is open from 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. daily.
- Cell Phone Lots – Utilize one of the two free Cell Phone Lots off Rental Car Road. Drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Click here for more details and a map of locations.
- Inexpensive Short Term Parking – CLT offers ample short term parking in all of the parking lots and garages (excluding Business and Curbside Valet). Free for the first 20 minutes to those choosing to help arriving parties to the terminal or pick them up in person.
- Passengers can be picked up and dropped off along the terminal's curbside, however, vehicles cannot be left unattended.
- Curbside parking is not allowed and unattended vehicles may be towed; this includes all lanes on the ticketing and baggage claim levels. (This policy also applies to passengers checking in luggage at the curbside.)
Picking up family or friends?
Visitors picking up family or friends are encouraged to utilize the Airport Overlook or one of the two Cell Phone Lots. Just wait in your vehicle and ask your passenger to contact you when they claim their luggage, then drive to the terminal to pick up your passenger after they have claimed their luggage.
If you want to pick your passenger up by meeting them in the terminal, you will have to park and take a shuttle to the terminal. The first 20 minutes of parking are free (excludes Business and Curbside Valet).Dropping off family or friends?
Travelers can be dropped off at the terminal's curbside or by parking in one of the decks or lots and taking a shuttle to the terminal. The first 20 minutes of parking are free (excludes Business and Curbside Valet).
- All security checkpoints at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) are operated by the federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
- Security checkpoint lines may be adjusted to accommodate anticipated crowds. Pay close attention to signage and personnel directing you to proper queue lines.
- Arrive early. Current security measures increase time needed to check in. When traveling with young children, infants, elderly or disabled passengers, allow even more time.
- It is recommended that you inform a security checkpoint screener of any disability or if you are traveling with special equipment that cannot go through an x-ray inspection.
- Have photo identification and boarding pass available. A valid government issued identification and boarding pass are required for gate access. Click here to learn more about TSA's identification requirements for airport checkpoints.
- If you are meeting a child requiring assistance at the gate, you must contact your airline in advance to make arrangements for a gate pass.
- All carry-on items must be screened at security checkpoints. Liquids are allowed in carry-on luggage in accordance with the 3-1-1 format. There are exceptions for baby food/formula as well as items needed for special medical purposes.
- Do not wrap gifts.
- Food items and gifts in liquid form, such as jams and lotions, are also limited to the 3-1-1 format for carry-ons. Liquid items that are more than 3 ounces in size that have been purchased beyond security checkpoints at CLT merchants are allowed on planes as they have already been screened.
Click here for more security tips. For more security related information, questions or updates, please contact the TSA at 1-866-289-9673 or e-mail TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov, or visit the TSA web site.
Finding Your Way Inside CLT
There are more than 1.8 million square feet and five concourses that make up the CLT terminal. With nearly 100 dining and shopping choices mixed among 95 gates, click here to use our interactive and printable terminal maps to find your way around.